Peregrine Technical Solutions, LLC. and the Commonwealth of Virginia are proud to announce the establishment of Virginia’s first registered cybersecurity apprenticeship program.
The Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia congratulates Peregrine Technical Solutions on the first registered cyber apprenticeship in the State.
Pictured here are left to right:
Robert Guess, Cyber Security Professor, Tidewater Community College
Dr Edna Baehre-Kolovani, President, Tidewater Community College
Terry McAuliffe, Governor of Virginia
Dr Leigh Armistead, President, Peregrine Technical Solutions
The elements of a registered Department of Labor apprenticeship are shown below:
- Establish an Apprenticeship Committee – for Peregrine, this consisted of our senior leadership along with the Director of Apprenticeship at Tidewater Community College and the respective DOL representatives in VA and AK
Identify the Occupation/Job Series - Information Security Analyst, O*NET – 15-1122.00. Our apprenticeship is competency based with two categories:
- Level I - 2000 hours at a minimum for 12-18 months
- Level II – 4000 hours at a minimum for 24-30 months
- Identify on-the-job Learning Competencies: Matched to DoD 8570 and 8140 regulations to become an IAT 1 (Level I) or IAT 2 (Level II)
Develop a Related Instruction Curriculum – Peregrine worked with TCC to coordinate online courses to give the training to pass the following certifications:
- Level I – Four courses (ITN 101, 106, 107 and 109) to pass Comptia A+ test
- Level II – Eight Courses (The four Level I courses plus ITN 257, 260, 267 and 270) to pass the Comptia Security + test
- All Tidewater Community College Cyber Security programs are updated regularly on the TCC website at https://apollo.tcc.edu/pls/apex/f?p=122:32:0::::P32_CUR_GUIDE_ID:348
Develop Apprentice Standards – Peregrine has three specific labor categories:
- Cyber Security Analyst, Level 1- outcome is completion of one of the recommended industry certifications for Level 1: CAP, SSCP, Security+
- Computer Forensics Analyst, Level 1- outcome is completion of one of the recommended industry certifications for Level 1: EnCE, ACE, Certified Computer Examiner (CCE), or GIAC Certified Forensics Analyst (GCFA)
- Incident Response Analyst Cyber Security, Level 1- outcome is completion of one of the recommended industry certifications for Level 1: GIAC Certified Incident Handler (GCIH), EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), Certified Incident Handler (CIH)
Peregrine has hired our first cohort of apprentice and are actively conducting these efforts now. If other companies or organizations are interested in learning more on how to set up a similar program, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.